Saturday, July 26, 2008
Being NUS-ified

Went to school for my matriculation fair. It was a whole day full of event. We met the SDE foyer, paying up for the $20 Orientation package, half of which I am preparing to skip. We were once again split into groups, so what was Starck was split into 2. I am currently in "Quillfish" with Xin Miao and Eunice. Our OGL is June, Year 2 from Real Estate. This time round, there was a complete mix of RE, PFM and AKI. Sadly, I was THE only Industrial Design student among the group, but its okay, because I am starting to accept that Industrial Design students are indeed a highly endangered and vulnerable species. Shortly after I have made payment to for my orientation package, we were guided to LT 7A in the Engineering Block for a series of talks, such as Bidding, IVLE and Nexus.

Bored the crap out of me.. Especially the later 2 talks.

By the time it was over, the temple of God was rumbling at earthquake magnitude 6.3. June brought us to the Yusof Ishak House(YIH) for Subway. Technically, since registration was around the SRC blocks, chances of people grabbing a sandwich at Subway was very high, especially when it was 1pm. Our suspicions were clear when we saw a long snake of a queue. Not wanting to go with a empty stomach (magnitude increased to 7), I decided to go to the FASS canteen, thinking it is short way there.

I was dead wrong.

Okay, distance wise was okay. The killer was when I had to climb up the flight of stairs of Kent Ridge. It was about halfway when I could feel the initial parts of perspiration flowing out, but I told myself, since I am halfway there.. why give up? That was when I was walking down the aisles of FASS towards the faithful canteen when I bumped into.. Long-time-no-see Benjamin Lo! Okay, I knew Ben Lo when we were in Students Council back in AJC. Still remember elect camps? We teamed up together as 2nd runners up for "MOST SADISTIC" trainers. haha. Anyway, he left for the states to further his studies, majoring in economic, and now he is back doing a research. The funny thing was that we would have never met if I didnt take the "alternative lunch venue", and he was flying off back to the States today. What a coincidence.

By the time I reached back to YIH, the earthquake was at a super dangerous magnitude of 8.0.
Nevertheless, Jap food at FASS was fantastic and cheap.

Matri fair started late for us at about 3.00pm. We were playing lame orientation games till we could finally go in. Apparently, the whole multi-purpose hall became a registration centre and somewhat similar to ICA layout. There was a laptop fair and CCA fair as well. It was a pity that HP and Dell was not one of the patents there, else I would have bought a laptop. I spent the remaining time walking around, thinking of the CCAs and activities which I can join so as to secure a place of accommodation in NUS in Year 2. This is a list of the things I may be interested in,
1. Student Exchange Programme
2. Navigators, Campus Crusade, Varisity for Christ (either one)
3. Photography society
4. Kayaking Subclub
5. Rockclimbing Subclub
6. Maybe help out in a NUSSU event (Like Orientation or Open house or e next matri fair?)
7. Ushering
8. too bad no cycling club

With so much in mind, I have no idea whether if I can juggle my studies and CCAs together. Only time and God can tell.
Got this baby blue and yellow teeshirt! It had a NUM look on it. Does it mean Im starting to become metro?!?


Up, up and away says Super Pioneer Daron.
11:41 AM.